Saturday, July 25, 2009

Baker Street



I can't really explain why I love the song "Baker Street" so much. Is it Gerry Rafferty's vocals? Raphael Ravenscroft's brilliant saxophone? The slightly desperate tone of the lyrics? I tend to think it's all of the above, plus what can only be labeled "the magic of the music". Some songs just click. I like Gerry Rafferty's other work (including the classic Stealers Wheel tune "Stuck In the Middle With You"). I've liked the cover versions of the song I've heard from Foo Fighters and Waylon Jennings. But this particular version of the song truly resonates with me.

In 2005, I sort of adopted this song as part of the soundtrack of my life. I purchased a CD of Rafferty's 1978 album City to City just so I could have a copy. Then I decided that I would learn the words, and I can still belt them out on a moment's notice. My fannish devotion to this song is so well-known among my friends that there are several people who instantly think of me when they hear it.

Gerry Rafferty, wherever you are and whatever you're doing, thanks for "Baker Street". It gives me joy even in my lowest moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment