Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Eternal Naomi Mystery

One of the most puzzling aspects of this blog since I opened it is how people looking for Naomi Morinaga constantly wind up here. Well, it's a lot less puzzling now that I have a specific tag for her and an image blog that is linked in the sidebar. But that was done at least partially because people kept winding up here anyway. I figured I should help them out a little.

I like Naomi Morinaga. I like her so much, I have even periodically collected images of her over the years. That collection serves as the foundation for Pictures of Naomi Morinaga (NSFW). But the truth is, I don't have either a wealth of knowledge or opinions about her. That's why this blog was active for over a year and a half before I ever got around to writing about her in-depth. Almost everything since that initial entry is either a supplement or a discussion of the image blog.

So, what gives? Beats me. I knew Naomi Morinaga was a cult figure, but the volume of traffic I receive seeking her stuns me. Literally at least half of my daily hits pertain to her. There is clearly an audience for Naomi content, and apparently, I fill the bill. Which...well, why me?

I still am not sure why I have become such a destination for Naomi fans. However, if I'm going to be remembered as "the Naomi Morinaga guy," I decided I should at least do justice to her and not perpetrate the hack jobs I've seen that try to spread opinions as facts. The lady deserves better than that from people who identify themselves as fans.

"Pictures of Naomi Morinaga" exists partially out of whimsy and partially out of responsibility. I don't take it especially seriously, and would caution everyone to do the same. At its core, it's about posting images of a pretty girl. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I've tried to bring a sense of fun to it. My earlier attempt felt more like homework, but now...well, I'm enjoying it. I guess other people are, too. I don't have proof, but I have the suspicion it is the most popular site I maintain by a wide margin.

By the same token, I am also trying to get across the fact (occasionally lost on people) that Naomi deserves respect alongside the adulation. I've tried to cover the entirety of her career instead of glossing over bits of it. All too often, I've seen sites that either whitewash her later projects in favor of the superhero stuff or focus exclusively on anything depicting nudity. Both approaches do a disservice to her. She was both a superhero show star and a sultry sex symbol. I'm not sure why one aspect must be ignored? Well, I do know the reasons, but it's not a path I choose to follow. If we're going to celebrate Naomi Morinaga, let's give equal time to all aspects of her.

Anyway, that's enough of the soapbox. Pictures of Naomi Morinaga is about fun! If you like Naomi, pop over there and see what all the fuss is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment