Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My World : C.H.I.E.F.

C.H.I.E.F. (Command Headquarters International Espionage Force) is a civilian intelligence agency of the United States government which is primarily charged with investigating and, if necessary, addressing what are deemed "anomalous situations." They are responsible for handling reports of UFOs, monsters, supervillains, and other out-of-the-ordinary phenomenon. Due to Third World's reliance on unorthodox tactics and weapons, C.H.I.E.F. has also been charged with containment functions in opposition to that subversive organization.

C.H.I.E.F. was formed in 1946, under circumstances which are still classified. It has been acknowledged, however, that C.H.I.E.F. is the successor to a branch of the government referred to only as "Department 27". Department 27 was established at some undetermined point prior to the United States' entry into World War II. It is best known for the Ultimate American Project, which led to the creation of the first Ultimate American.

C.H.I.E.F. has offices in major population hubs across the United States, and maintains bureaus in many nations. C.H.I.E.F. cooperates with other U.S. government agencies, and with intelligence services abroad. In light of a dearth of similarly-equipped organizations specializing in paranormal occurrences, C.H.I.E.F. has been called into action on foreign soil on a number of occasions at the request of the country in question.

Though C.H.I.E.F. engages in numerous covert activities, its existence is well-documented to the public at large, and many of its more notable cases have been widely reported in the press. Though the agency's heyday was undoubtedly in the 1960s, 70s, and early 80s during the "spy hero" era, it still plays a vital role in both national and global security. C.H.I.E.F. works closely with the new breed of superhero that has emerged in recent years, and was responsible for the training of Ultimate American III (who acts in the role of "independent contractor" for the organization).

Rex Coronado is the current director of C.H.I.E.F., and is based at their central offices in Pongo, Virginia. He answers to the President of the United States and the top secret "Monarch-12" executive committee that oversees C.H.I.E.F.'s operations.


C.H.I.E.F. is the current incarnation of the super spy agency that has floating around my work for decades. It's been referenced in several character profiles, and in the Ultimate American Chronology, so I thought it would be fun to solidify some details about it. It draws inspiration from Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., naturally, as well as the countless other acronym-crazy organizations that proliferated on the pop culture landscape like U.N.C.L.E. and T.H.U.N.D.E.R. There's also some heavily altered stuff incorporated from real life research - or at least, things that did not originate in fiction.

This is the second version of this fact file. It contains new material and some slightly reworded text. Think of this as the "special edition" of C.H.I.E.F.'s profile, and a small reward for those of you who follow my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment