Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mammoth! Behemoth! Goliath!

The other night, I was looking for something else for Igadevil and came across this in my search. It is way too cool not to share, so I'm sharing!

"Mechani-Kong and Dr. Who’s secret pyramid base" @ Pink Tentacle

I'm really charmed and fascinated by these completely wonderful illustrations from Shonen Magazine that are based on the King Kong cartoon series. As most people reading this blog probably know, that show also served as the basis for Toho's KING KONG ESCAPES. Though I've not watched much of the animated exploits, KKE was my first-ever Japanese monster movie, so I have a special affection for it as a result.

It is interesting to note that the schematic is rather clearly labeled "Robot Kong". While that was the name used in the English dubbed incarnation of KKE, the Japanese version referred to the alloyed ape as "Mechani-Kong". Funny how no one had a consensus on the guy's name, despite his appearing in several different media.

Also, is it wrong that I covet Dr. Who's secret pyramid base and Sphinx Tank? It is the kind of thing to make you yearn for a sequel featuring such elaborate set-pieces. And let's not forget the image of bank robber Kong! C'mon, who wouldn't pay to see that sort of thing? I would in a heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment