Friday, December 16, 2011

Berlin via the Metro

Most people who are familiar with Berlin know the band exclusively for "Take My Breath Away". While I am a big Giorgio Moroder proponent, that particular song just never did it for me. Ergo, I didn't really give the band Berlin much of my time.

This was a mistake. It was, however, an understandable one. I don't think Berlin got any radio airplay locally except for "Take My Breath Away". As it turns out, that song is not really representative of the band's capabilities. Leave it to the world to make a song written by outside hands the ONE that embodies a group.

I suppose I had an inkling that Berlin had more to offer from an old cassette I owned. It was called Heat: Extended Hot Mixes from a label called JCI Records. I bought it for other reasons (*ahem* "White Horse"), but one of the songs was Berlin's "No More Words". If I had paid attention, I would have noticed sooner that Berlin's sound on that song was different from their later hit. Alas, I did not.

It wasn't until years later, when I was buying various and sundry compilation CDs, that I discovered songs like "Sex (I'm A...)" and "The Metro". That was when I realized that Berlin was far more than just a song from TOP GUN. Better late than never!



"Sex (I'm A...)" (somewhat NSFW)



"The Metro"

No comments:

Post a Comment