Saturday, December 31, 2011

That Was The Year That Was

The changing of the calendar page from one year to the next is always a time for reflection in these parts. By a quirk of circumstance, it also neatly arrives at roughly the same time as this blog's anniversary. I don't have any celebration for the latter planned, but let it be noted that OWARI is entering its fourth year in 2012. No one is more surprised by this development than yours truly.

My goal for 2011 as far as this blog was concerned was to manage at least 20 posts a month, for a minimum of 240 entries on the year. Well, I didn't quite reach that projection - I faltered to just 13 posts in May (ironically, this would have been one of my better months in 2009!). However, I compensated during the other 11 months to reach what will be 288 entries when this one is published. That includes two months (July & November) where there was a post every day and stretches of 36 and 55 straight days where I got something on here. I find this positively mind-boggling.

I also seem to have accidentally published a book during 2011. Seriously, Captain Satellite: Number Zero was a fascinating creative experience. I hadn't opened the year intending to do anything of the sort, so it was just as much of a surprise to me as anyone else that it happened. Kudos to all involved who helped make it happen, especially illustrator/instigator/friend Kayleigh Lebak (a.k.a. Kabuki Katze). Much of what I do with my characters would not be the same without her efforts.

Of course, there are some loose ends from the year that didn't go quite as planned. I should wrap those up. To wit:

1) Back in April, I mentioned that 2012 would see the release of a book entitled Captain Satellite: Life & Times. I'm not as sure about that now. Work stalled on it during the year, and it has some structural problems that need solving before I deem it fit for public consumption. It MAY still happen in 2012; then again, it may not happen at all. I'm exploring my options.

2) I never did post any other pictures from this year's Chaos Theory art show, did I? Regrettably, I never made it back during the show's run, and the paltry few pics I do have still sit on my camera. Sorry about that.

I don't think anything else qualifies as a "loose end" just yet, but I'm sure someone will remind me if I'm wrong. For the record, I'll be continuing both my discussion of that Dr. Fate book and my survey of OWARI's fanzine years in the coming months.

I'm not quite certain what this new year holds. Well, I do know one thing - I will be turning 40. This is strange to write and even stranger to think about. I'm going to try not to worry too much about that, and other things that are out of my control. I just want to take one day at a time, and hope to discover greatness along the way.

See you in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the blog's 1st Anniversary&Happy New Year,Chris!

    ReplyDelete