Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Statement

I'm not in the best of moods as I write this entry. There are several reasons for that, but one of them (I am sorry to say) stems from this very blog. This is going to be a bit of a policy statement. It's not really for my regular/semi-regular readers who are all uniformly excellent; rather, this is for a handful of the many people who arrive here looking for something or other.

I am pretty laid back when it comes to comments. There have been a couple of comments over the years that I found questionable that I've left intact. I've responded to them, but never felt the need to delete them. I'm a big boy, and I know if you maintain a blog, someone will come around to give you a hard time. It's inevitable.

My easygoing nature doesn't extend to when you go after the people I consider my friends. I recently closed comments on an older entry - one of the more popular entries on this blog. Why? Because certain anonymous people couldn't behave themselves and play nice. They chose to post comments that seemed aimed at being embarrassing and humiliating rather than adding something positive to the discussion. I don't want to eliminate the ability to leave anonymous comments unless absolutely necessary, but my patience in policing this entry has worn thin. Therefore, no more comments on it.

I mean, take a look at this blog. Why would you think it's appropriate to use that sort of language and discuss those sort of things? I don't have to tolerate it, and I won't tolerate it. Take that sort of thing where it belongs. I'm not going to allow you to harass my friends on my blog just so you can get your jollies. Besides, your efforts to shame people are not going to work. Hate to break it to you, but we're bigger than that.

I'll try to be back with something that isn't quite so sour tomorrow. I apologize to all of my readers who are awesome. You far outnumber the people who have ticked me off, and I'm grateful that you take the time to peruse this little enterprise of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment