Sunday, September 4, 2011

In The "VY"

Hurricanes are no laughing matter. I've been through a few, including the quite impressive Hurricane Rita in 2005. You may not remember it, since that was the same year as Hurricane Katrina. Trust me, it was no picnic for us either. I was without power for about two weeks.

However awful hurricanes, tropical storms, and their ilk might be, they can lead to crazy stories worth retelling. Since there are a number of folks still recovering from Hurricane Irene, and since we're currently experiencing Tropical Storm Lee here, I thought this would be a good opportunity to share one of those anecdotes. It is one of my enduring memories of those post-Rita months.

My job is across the street from a residential neighborhood, and some of the residents there are, to be charitable, a little on the sketchy side. After the hurricane, I happened to notice something that read "VY" sitting in the backyard of one of the houses. For days, I saw the "VY" and wondered what it was and why it was there. Finally, it dawned on me what had happened.

You see, there is a large sign for a shopping center by the road next to my place of employment. One of the stores in this shopping center is...Old Navy. During the storm, all the individual signs were knocked out. And apparently, someone claimed the Old Navy sign as their own.

Why? Heck, why not?

2 comments:

  1. The terrifying thing is, I was skimming this entry and read "Tropical Storm Lee" as "Tropical Stan Lee."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Face front, true believers. I, Tropical Stan Lee, will unleash a torrent of rampaging rain in a tale we just had to call 'This Stan, This Storm!' Excelsior!"

    ReplyDelete