Monday, September 12, 2011

"Resurrection Shuffle" by Ashton, Gardner & Dyke

A quick programming note, since this is as good a place as any to mention it. I'm discontinuing the "mp3 Madness" posts that I've been featuring on this blog for the last few months. Though they fed into my need to compile lists, they never seemed to generate much buzz. Plus, at this point, putting together such an entry would result in such a huge list as to be unwieldy. I'll still discuss my new music, but it won't be in that format anymore.

With that out of the way...

As I've mentioned, I own one of Joel Whitburn's Top 40 singles books. They were indispensable back in the pre-Internet days, and are still monumentally useful. One of the uses I find for mine is to dig through to get ideas for new music to check out.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years as a music fan, it's that tons of cool songs inevitably slip through the cracks. That can include songs that charted high enough to warrant inclusion in a Top 40 book. I try to scrutinize the artists to try to pick out things that sound promising. Sometimes, I find stuff that justifies this mania.

Take Ashton, Gardner and Dyke. Who? Exactly what I thought. However, this "Resurrection Shuffle" had an interesting title. I decided I'd look into it when I got the chance.

Wow, I'm glad I finally noticed Ashton, Gardner and Dyke. "Resurrection Shuffle" is a terrific, catchy song! I was delighted to add it to my collection, and now I look forward to further discoveries in the realm of "oldies".

No comments:

Post a Comment