Thursday, September 15, 2011

Earth B : The Blog

Welcome to Earth B, a weblog named for that DC Comics parallel Earth where stories that did not "fit" into established continuity supposedly took place. I am your humble host Christopher Elam. Some of you in the comics blogosphere may be familiar with me as occasional commenter "C. Elam." After a lot of thinking, I've decided to take the plunge and give comics blogging a try.

--Thursday, March 30, 2006, 9:57 PM

Faithful reader Travis recently observed that OWARI is not specifically a comics blog. Honestly, I don't think OWARI has any "theme" going for it at all, other than whatever is floating around my head at a given moment. Though this is probably a hindrance in getting wider notice, it's the only way I can maintain my interest in writing. I learned that lesson the hard way from Earth B.

For those of you coming in late, Earth B was my 2006 experiment in starting a comics blog. I had been writing about comic books off and on in my LiveJournal, so I wanted to give a genuine comics blog a try. If I'm being honest with myself, I'm certain I was craving the opportunity to see if I could fit into that world. 2006 was a strange year.

Unfortunately, I could not maintain my level of interest in a venue solely devoted to comics. I shut the whole thing down after only a couple of months. Then, this entry caught the attention of the comics blogosphere at large. This led to a brief attempt to revive my blog, but that waned in almost no time. I closed it down for good on August 3, 2006, less than 6 months after it began.

It certainly wasn't a waste of time. I wrote some things that I think came out pretty well. In fact, of the 15 entries I managed in that short-lived blog, there are several that have found their way onto THIS blog in retooled form.

Confidential To Comic Book Fans (in fact, this was a repost from my journal!)

The Bob Haney Mystique

He's Not Much Of A Moose By The Light Of Day

The Brave and The Bold Team-Up Archives Vol. 1

The Bearded Boy

Jetta

As I gradually moved this blog away from its "greatest hits" origins, focusing on new material rather than reposts from other sites, references to Earth B disappeared. I don't even link to it on my profile, considering it a dead site. Still, I learned a lot from it in its brief existence, and its spirit continues in the comics content here.

Besides, even if I sometimes go days at a time without mentioning comics at all, it has been the top category on this blog for some time. I expect that will not be changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment