Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Stuckey's Road Trip (April 17, 2008)

The whole thing probably started the night that Sara and I were discussing Stuckey's. Why Stuckey's? I dunno! But we were, and this led me to discover that there was a Stuckey's in Opelousas. Opelousas is not REALLY close, but it's not far, either. So an idea was planted.

Flash forward a few weeks, and my sister Amy tells me that she is taking a few days off work. I ask if she's interested in a road trip to Stuckey's. And lo, a plan was hatched.

As plans go, it was pretty basic. We drove to Opelousas, stopped to eat at the Palace Cafe, and then went looking for Stuckey's. It proved to be not very hard to locate, mostly because I wasn't the one driving. Heh heh.

The Stuckey's itself was a bit of a disappointment. There was very little in it that marked it as a "real" Stuckey's. The nut stuff was there, but alas, the incredibly tacky souvenirs were in short supply. There were a few, but not nearly enough. Still, we did pick up some stuff, and the adventure was definitely worth the effort. So hey, a day well spent, I think.

It appears that there is a Stuckey's in Orange, TX that I could get to without a whole lotta trouble. This is a relatively recent development, since it was definitely not on this stretch of road back in 2008. Believe me, I traveled it enough back then that I would have noticed. There is also a location in Winnie, TX that might even be a Stuckey's in the more "classic" vein. I don't think I will be going anytime soon, but it's something to consider for the future.

And now...PICTURES!

Yes, I am pointing at the sign with a pecan log.

Only in Louisiana.

More photos (just a few) are located here for interested parties.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, certainly a worthy destination. I feel the same way, most modern Stuckey's visits are a bit of a letdown. I always seek out the remnants of days past: souvenirs, pecan logs, etc. If you're lucky you'll find Stuckey's shirts or hats. I just remembered I lost my Stuckey's hat last summer and now I'm sad.
    There are still some that are more old school, but not enough. I went to one in Ohio last year that was selling vintage Stuckey's postcards which was a score. Good job delivering on your promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in a long time, but I have warm fuzzy memories of the Stuckey's in Senatobia, Mississippi. There is still one (the same one?) there, so it might be a good "old school" location. I suspect Orange, TX is a preexisting store I've visited in the past that signed on to be a Stuckey's in recent years.

    I am glad you enjoyed it! It was definitely the kind of trip you've related on your blog. I only wish there were more pictures from it.

    ReplyDelete