Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Mexico!


I discovered this ad in a copy of Marvel Collectors' Item Classics #9 (June 1967) I recently purchased. At first glance, it might seem to be promoting tourism. But no! Instead, they are trying to sell you actual real estate!

When you consider that $1.98 was a steep mail-order investment for a 1960s-era comic book reader, I cannot imagine there were many takers at "only" $299. I guess this is one of those examples where the advertiser bought the space without putting a lot of thought into the publications that would be carrying their ads. I mean, I don't think there are a lot of ten year old real estate moguls.

I have fuzzed out the address, but amazingly, the offer is ongoing! I doubt this is the same company, and $299 will only get you a pat on the head, but Deming Ranchettes are still for sale. I know you are all ready to jump on this deal.

To sum up: New Mexico kicks fanny, and it isn't afraid to tell you. Why not buy some of it?

2 comments:

Kirk D. said...

Being a land owner is pretty cool on its own, yet they still couldn't help talking it up with all the half the cancer talk. Nice find!

C. Elam said...

Leave it to a comic book ad to oversell!

I thought you would enjoy it. It was a totally new one on me!