Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Mexico!


I discovered this ad in a copy of Marvel Collectors' Item Classics #9 (June 1967) I recently purchased. At first glance, it might seem to be promoting tourism. But no! Instead, they are trying to sell you actual real estate!

When you consider that $1.98 was a steep mail-order investment for a 1960s-era comic book reader, I cannot imagine there were many takers at "only" $299. I guess this is one of those examples where the advertiser bought the space without putting a lot of thought into the publications that would be carrying their ads. I mean, I don't think there are a lot of ten year old real estate moguls.

I have fuzzed out the address, but amazingly, the offer is ongoing! I doubt this is the same company, and $299 will only get you a pat on the head, but Deming Ranchettes are still for sale. I know you are all ready to jump on this deal.

To sum up: New Mexico kicks fanny, and it isn't afraid to tell you. Why not buy some of it?

2 comments:

  1. Being a land owner is pretty cool on its own, yet they still couldn't help talking it up with all the half the cancer talk. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to a comic book ad to oversell!

    I thought you would enjoy it. It was a totally new one on me!

    ReplyDelete