Monday, May 27, 2013

Post #1000

Well, here we are again. Today, we reach the impressive milestone of 1,000 entries on "Christopher Elam's OWARI." No one is more surprised by this than me.

I've told the story in the past (I imagine), but this particular blog was originally only created as an emergency precaution. It quickly took on a life of its own, and eventually became the kind of site I'd always wanted to have. Part of that was mixing my penchant for being all over the map with a certain discipline in how I posted. It has paid off in the most consistently satisfying project I've ever spearheaded on the Internet. Over four years later, I'm not even close to being tired of it.

That's not to say that this blog is perfect, or that it always pleases me. There are any number of clunker posts on here, but they will remain as part of the overall picture. I mean, I wanted to write about that subject (whatever it was); I just maybe didn't do the best job on it that day. That's part of the creative process, and part of the ongoing learning curve with writing. I'd rather own those poor entries than pretend they never existed. Well, most of 'em, anyway.

It is fascinating to see what brings people to this blog. I have written a lot about comic books, Japanese sci-fi, music, and the creativity of my friends and I. I always get plenty of traffic about those things, especially Batman and (strangely) me. I think the greatest joy is exposing the works of my friends and acquaintances to people who might otherwise have missed them. A few of them even have their own tags - Kayleigh, Sean, Sara and Nicky. But that doesn't diminish people like David, Lewis, Jon, Paul, Mike, Roy, Corey, Josh, Kenna, Jess, or any of the numerous people I am forgetting who have either been featured here or promoted OWARI elsewhere. Even if your name slipped my mind, your contribution to this enterprise is warmly appreciated.

There is one subject that brings people here in the greatest numbers, and it's one I didn't anticipate, but really should have: beautiful women. The primary subcategory there is Naomi Morinaga, and the interest in her was so great that I started a separate image blog devoted strictly to her. It doesn't have many actual followers, but I bet it is the most popular site I've ever maintained.

However, Naomi is not the only lovely lady who brings people to this blog. I get hits all the time for Akiko Wakabayashi, Mie Hama, Kumi Mizuno, Maren Jensen, Rene Bond, Bridgette Monet, Pason, and (again) probably others I am forgetting. I'm honored that the fans of these women drop by all the time. I especially hope that visitors sense the affection I have for Rene, and my sorrow at her passing at such a young age. I also hope they can sense my respect and affection for Pason, who is the only one of these women listed I've actually gotten to know. We'll be talking about Pason again soon, so watch this space!

Now, we begin the journey of the next thousand entries. I don't know about you, but I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment