Friday, March 16, 2012

Universe of Monsters


Surely you recall this entry from not very long ago, which introduced the revamped version of Tex Truman as interpreted by the always awesome Kabuki Katze. Oh, and it marked the debut of Gabrielle "Jinx" Fitzgerald too, but I'm also sure you noticed her with no prompting from me. Homina.

The next step seemed to be visualizing Tex's son (from his first wife, not Jinx) Joe Truman. Only how? Unlike Tex, I didn't have an overriding image of Joe in my head even after retooling him from his original concept. There was also the thorny question of what else would be in this picture, since just Our Hero by himself didn't speak to me.

After playing with several different ideas, I ultimately settled on Joe going against a bevy of "classic monsters" - Frankenstein monster, Dracula, Werewolf, and Mummy. Somewhere along the way, "Universe of Monsters" sprang into being as the title, and it had such a ring to it. It conjured up thoughts of the Universal horror films while still retaining a uniquely pulpy feel. A real winner.

I got an idea for Joe, and it turned out to be loosely based on this guy. For those of you keeping score at home, this is at least the second time I've based a character on a Mego action figure. Hey, if it works, it WORKS!

Oh, the blonde? I have no idea who she is right now, but a damsel in distress seemed appropriate. Plus, it gave Kabu a chance to draw a beautiful lady. She likes that.

It all came together beautifully, didn't it? Your feedback is always encouraged, either here or on dA. Oh, and if you don't read Kabu's blog (why not?), perhaps you should peep out this entry for a Freudian slip that really did slip past both of us for the longest time. It's a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment