Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Other Captain Satellite


This isn't directly related to my examination of the origins of Captain Satellite, but it's in that same vein. One of the reasons I latched onto the name "Captain Satellite" over the years was because there was no major character that shared the name. At least, that was what I thought. Little did I know as an 11 year old in mid-1980s Louisiana that there had, in fact, once been a Captain Satellite.

Bob March (pictured above) portrayed "Captain Satellite" in a kid's TV show that aired on Oakland, California's KTVU in the 1950s, 60s, and early 70s. Imagine my surprise when I learned this fact! So much for having an original name. Still, it did explain the volume of people who arrived here searching for "Captain Satellite."

I'm not planning on changing my character's name. I think two Captain Satellites can happily coexist in the world, especially since mine isn't going to make me a bunch of money. Still, I wanted to acknowledge Bob March and the fact that his Captain came first. I've even chosen to recognize him by naming my Captain's home base "March Mansion." There will be a different in-story explanation, but the reason is because my Captain is following in Bob March's footsteps.

READ MORE ABOUT IT!

San Francisco Local TV Kid Shows Captain Satellite & More

Bob March profile on NATAS Northern California site

Capt. Satellite reflects on TV career

No comments:

Post a Comment