Thursday, June 27, 2013

September Gurls

I am about to make a slightly heretical confession. Are you ready? OK, I don't really "get" Big Star. I recognize they are considered (to quote Wikipedia) the "quintessential American power pop band" and "one of the most mythic and influential cult acts in all of rock & roll". I understand this. I own all three of their 1970s albums, and have listened to each more than once. But I'm sorry, for some reason, they by and large don't connect with me.

Ah, but there is at least one Big Star song that speaks to me. I love "September Gurls" a lot, and it's not even because I was familiar with the cover by the Bangles. No, something about this song is so achingly perfect. It convinces me that the fault in my not caring for most of Big Star's music lies not with the band, but with me. My loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment