Sunday, July 17, 2011

Project U.F.O.

Remember PROJECT U.F.O.? That was the TV series based on the cases in the USAF's "Project Blue Book" files. My recollections of it are faint, since I last saw a full episode back in the 1978-79 timeframe when it aired. However, I do remember being inordinately fascinated as a child by its less-than-outrageous approach to the subject matter.

Looking back, that was the Jack Webb influence in the show. It is difficult to watch the intro to Season 1 and not think "DRAGNET but with flying saucers". Season 2 opens a bit more ominously AND dramatically (and adds Col. Flagg from M*A*S*H to the cast), but I imagine it was more of the same. Still, you have to give them credit for sticking to their format a lot better than most science-fiction programs of the era did. I am sure the second season of PROJECT U.F.O. was more of a success than GALACTICA: 1980.

It looks like there are a couple of full episodes (in parts) on the video sites. Should I? And do you have any memories of the series, fond or otherwise?

2 comments:

  1. I always watched this show when it was on, at least the first season. thought it was very enjoyable. I think it had the highest ratings of any sci-fi show for the longest time.

    I'd like to see it again. I was always kind of bummed that most of the stories were usually explained away as hoaxes or dreams (but not imaginary tales) though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can believe that about the ratings, since it probably came across as more appealing to the average viewer.

    Of course, those explanations were right in line with Project Blue Book itself, no matter what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete