Friday, November 11, 2011

Media Blasters' Destroy All Monsters - Initial Thoughts

You could've knocked me over with a feather when I learned that Diamond Comics Distributors would actually be shipping the Media Blasters release of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS the same week it came out. Diamond's usual procedure is to ship movies whenever they happen to get them. Promptness is not to be expected. I am pleasantly surprised.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that the disc does (finally!) contain the AIP English dubbing track. Yes, it is a bit wobbly at the outset, and yes, the sound is not as fine as the other language tracks. But hey, it's not like they had access to vaults for the original masters. It sounds to me as if the source is a 16 mm film print, and good luck finding one of those in perfect shape. I'm about halfway through and it sounds perfectly acceptable to me. Not perfect, but perfectly acceptable.

I think I have managed to work my way through most of the extras, and brother, there are a lot of them. I don't quite get the repetition in the image galleries, but I would imagine there are variations there I'm just not seeing. Kudos for including both the AIP and Japanese trailers on the disc, as well as a French(!) trailer that is beat to hell but still welcome.

I'll try to give my full impressions of this DVD next week. But for now, I'll just say Media Blasters has done a great job so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment